The City of Anna derives its authority to annex property into the city limits from Chapter 43 of the Texas Local Government Code (TLGC) as prescribed in Section 1.03 of the City’s Home-Rule Charter. Certain types of annexation procedures are required to be included in a formal municipal annexation plan. However, inclusion in an annexation plan is not applicable and is not required if the area being considered for annexation fits into one of the following categories:
(1) the area contains fewer than 100 separate tracts of land on which one or more residential dwellings are located on each tract;
(2) the area will be annexed by petition of more than 50% of the real property owners in the area proposed for annexation or by vote or petition of the qualified voters or real property owners as provided by Subchapter B; (Chapter 43, TLGC);
(3) the area is or was the subject of:
(A) an industrial district contract under Section 42.044 (TLGC); or
(B) a strategic partnership agreement under Section 43.0751 (TLGC);
(4) the area is located in a colonia, as that term is defined by Section 2306.581, Government Code;
(6) the area is located completely within the boundaries of a closed military installation; or
(7) the municipality determines that the annexation of the area is necessary to protect the area proposed for annexation or the municipality from:
(A) imminent destruction of property or injury to persons; or
(B) a condition or use that constitutes a public or private nuisance as defined by background principles of nuisance and property law of this state.
The City Council adopted a Resolution (PDF) in November 2010 stating that they have reviewed the future expansion needs of the City and determined that, at this time, the City does not intend to annex any territory that is required to be in an “annexation plan” in order to be annexed. The City Council reserves the right to amend the annexation plan in the future. The City will from time to time, consider annexation of areas that are not required to be included in a formal annexation plan.
Proper management of development in the urbanizing areas depends upon annexation and the application of zoning regulations that support the City’s Future Land Use Plan.
Notice of Annexation
Interested persons may provide comment at a public hearing of the City Council on a proposed annexation:
Cedar Ridge Estates - annex and zone 24.8± acres located on the south side of County Road 427, 130± feet east of Purdue Road into the city limits and zone the property to Single-Family Residential (SF-72).
The public hearing shall be held at at 6:30 p.m. on October 26, 2021 at Anna ISD Board Room (201 E. 7th Street). For more information call 972.924.2616 or e-mail Planning Manager, Lauren Mecke (LMECKE@annatexas.gov).
Sweet Cow Addition - annex and zone 27.8± acres located on the south side of County Road 376, 3,910± feet east of N Powell Parkway (State Highway 5) into the city limits and zone the property to Single-Family Residential (SF-72).
Villages of Hurricane Creek - North – Request to annex 289.8± acres located on the west side of Standridge Boulevard and 1,334± feet north of Suzie Lane. The property's zoning will retain the standards adopted from the previously approved subdivision improvement agreement.
CR 427 Tract - 39.7± located at the southwest intersection of CR 427 and CR 425 (Future Leonard Ave). Zoned Single-Family Residential District (SF-72).