Driving Safety Course
You may request to have your citation dismissed by successfully completing a driving safety course or a motorcycle operator training course. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST DSC, YOU MUST REQUEST IT ON OR BEFORE YOUR APPEARANCE DATE, OR THAT RIGHT WILL BE LOST. The court must have a written request for you. In order to be granted DSC, the following requirements need to be met first:
DO NOT TAKE A DRIVING SAFETY COURSE WITHOUT FIRST OBTAINING PERMISSION FROM THE COURT.
DO NOT GO ONLINE TO WWW.TRAFFICPAYMENT.COM TO PAY UNTIL YOU HAVE ALL OF
THE REQUIRED PAPERWORK TURNED INTO THE COURT.
To Be Eligible:
- Make your request on or before the appearance date on your citation in writing by certified mail.
- You must have and show proof of a valid Texas driver’s license or permit.
- You must have and show proof of financial responsibility or vehicle liability insurance in your name or with you listed as a driver.
- You must enter a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest).
- You must pay all court costs and an administration fee with a check, money order or cash (only in person) when you request this option. If you choose to go online to www.trafficpayment.com to pay, you MUST first turn in all DSC paperwork to the court. Pay $144 ($169 for school zone offenses occurring on or after 1/1/2020 which includes court costs and administrative fees. YOU ARE NOT PAYING THE FULL AMOUNT OF THE CITATION. The fine amount of the citation cost is put on hold until you complete and turn in the DSC certificate and your driving record from DSC.
- You must NOT have completed a driving safety course within the past 12 months preceding the date of the current citation. You will have to sign an affidavit affirming you have not taken the course in the past 12 months preceding.
- You must NOT have been cited for speeding 25 mph over the posted speed limit.
- You will need to obtain a certified copy of your driving record from Texas Department of Public Safety at $10 per copy. (It is your responsibility to obtain this copy and turn it in by the end of your 90 days.)
- Driving Safety Course is NOT AN OPTION if you hold a Commercial Drivers License (CDL)
FOR THE DRIVER'S SAFETY COURSE, WE WILL NEED:
- Copy of driver’s license
- Copy of insurance
- Paperwork filled out and submit it to the court. Once the court has received all the required paperwork, then you can make your payment.
- $144 or $169 for speeding violations in school zones
- You can email paperwork to: Court@annatexas.gov
- Payments can be made at www.trafficpayment.com or by calling 1-800-444-1187. You will need your citation number and the amount you are paying. Payments can also be mailed to: P.O. Box 776, Anna, Tx 75409 or brought to 101 South Powell Parkway, Anna, Tx 75409.
Driver’s Safety Course Affidavit (PDF) -MUST BE NOTARIZED
To obtain a certified copy of your driving record from Texas Department of Public Safety click the following link and it will be $12 to receive it instantly online. https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/txldrcdr/TXDPSLicenseeManager If you prefer to print out the form, and mail it in, the form is on this website and your cost will be $10, but it may take longer to get your driving record.
Certified List of All Accidents and Violations on Record (Type 3A): certified version of Type 3. This record is acceptable for Defensive Driving Course (DDC).
WHERE YOU CAN TAKE A DRIVING SAFETY COURSE:
The driving safety course must be approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations (TDLR). Court personnel cannot recommend a driving safety school. The yellow pages of your local phone directory usually contain a list of state-approved driving safety schools. There are also courses available online. You can find more information about Driving Safety Courses through the TDLR’s Website.